top of page
  • Wade Visconte

What to Do If You Have a Car Accident in the Shreveport Bossier Area

Updated: Jun 7, 2021

Any car accident is a stressful situation for both parties. If you find yourself in this situation, do NOT leave the scene. You should give a statement to the police. You should also report the claim to your insurance company and the other party’s insurance company if the other driver was at fault. If there are any witnesses, ask them to give a written statement that supports your version of the accident if the other driver was at fault. Otherwise, your situation may involve a “swearing contest,” and the other driver can claim you were the one that gave false information.

If there is damage to your vehicle, take pictures with your phone at the scene. We recommend that you obtain three (3) property damage repair estimates. Provide all property damage photographs and estimates to your insurance company and the at fault driver’s insurance company, but be sure to keep copies of the photos and repair estimates for yourself. You have the RIGHT TO CHOOSE THE REPAIR FACILITY. Do not let the insurance adjuster tell you that you have to use the insurance company’s repair facility, even if the adjuster tells you that the insurance company’s repair facility “guarantees” the work.

The accident report will be ready in 3-7 days. You need to purchase a copy. Be sure to carefully review the accident report for any mistakes. If you find any mistakes, request that the police report be corrected, or alternatively, you should provide a supplemental written statement noting the mistakes in the report.

Your best option is always to consult with a personal injury attorney in the Shreveport Bossier City area. DO NOT GIVE A STATEMENT TO THE OTHER DRIVER’S INSURANCE COMPANY UNTIL YOU HAVE CONSULTED WITH AN ATTORNEY. Be sure you know your rights!

Finding the right personal injury attorney may seem like a daunting task. All American Law Firm is here to help with a free consultation to evaluate your personal injury and/or property damage claims. If you are located in the Shreveport/Bossier area, give us a call today!

Legal Disclaimer: Warning! The rest of this blog contains legal jargon that is likely to create impulses to engage in self-harm. Small children and adults afflicted with a sensitive nature should be protected from reading this blog. All jokes aside, this blog content is made available for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY, as well as to give you general information and a general understanding of the law. This guide is NOT INTENDED TO PROVIDE LEGAL ADVICE specific to your case!! No representation of accuracy is made about the information presented in this guide; the law changes constantly, and new developments in the law may not account for any changes in the law. There is no attorney client relationship between you and us. This law firm does not wish to represent anyone desiring representation based upon viewing this answer in a state where this site fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state. This answer should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.

6 views0 comments
bottom of page